This website is the official website of the Tokyo Metropolitan Government, a local government in Japan. We have created an English language website in order for people from overseas to also learn about Tokyo.
We will continue our efforts to improve this website.
Pages under the SMART CITY TOKYO website
In the content of .png, .jpg, .mp4 extensions used on the web pages under the following directory, there may be those provided by third parties. There may be cases where the Tokyo Metropolitan Government does not hold the original files that can be modified, or there may be cases where they cannot be modified due to rights-related issues.
Deadline for achieving goal and success level
- Deadline for achieving goal: March 31, 2024
- Success level: Compliant with level AA
Web accessibility verification results
Personal Information Protection Policy
This website collects information on everyone who uses this website, within the range required for the smooth operation of the services provided (the provision of information and acceptance of various opinions, etc., via the website).
In regard to the collection, use, and management of information, based on the Tokyo Metropolitan Ordinance on the Protection of Personal Information (hereinafter referred to as “the ordinance”) (Ordinance No. 113 of December 21, 1990), we handle this appropriately as described below, and furthermore, endeavor to create a website that can be used by everyone with peace of mind.
Refers to information through which a specific individual can be identified, that is received by the Tokyo Metropolitan Government via the website, including address, name, telephone number, and email address.
Scope of Application
This policy applies solely to this website, and does not apply to other websites that are linked to on this website.
The handling of information at the link destination is performed at the responsibility of the respective organization.
Collection of Personal Information
When personal information is collected by the Tokyo Metropolitan Government through this website, as a general rule, this information is provided (registered) at the intent of the individual user.
When collecting personal information, we will clearly state the purpose of collecting such information.
The collection of personal information will be performed within the range required for the achievement of the presented purpose.
Restrictions on Use of Personal Information
The personal information that is provided (registered) by everyone will be used within the range of the purposes of collection presented beforehand. With the exception of where prescribed by the ordinance, such information shall not be used within the implementing organization (*) beyond the purpose of the collection of personal information, and shall not be provided to any party outside of said implementing organization. However, statistically processed information on user attributes, etc., may be published, limited to where no personal information is included.
※“Implementing organization” refers to the Governor, the Administrative Committee, the public enterprise manager, and the head of the fire department of the Tokyo Metropolitan Government, as well as the director of the administrative agency prescribed in the Tokyo Metropolitan Regulations, which handle personal information.
Management of Personal Information
The collected personal information shall be carefully managed by the website administrator, and appropriate measures shall be taken to prevent leaks, misappropriation, and tampering, etc. It should be noted that although the operation of this website may be outsourced, appropriate measures shall also be taken by the contractor.
Information of Users Not Containing Personal Information
On the website, information on the internet domain name, IP address, and browsing environment, etc., for the website (hereinafter referred to as “user information”) is automatically collected.
The information of users that is collected is limited to content serving the purpose of improving the usability of the website, and in addition, is used solely within this range.
However, statistically processed website access information, and information on browsing environment, etc., may be published.
Use of Google Analytics
The website conducts measurements through the use of Google Analytics, which is an access analysis tool provided by Google Inc. in order to improve services and websites.
Google Analytics uses the cookies issued by the website to collect website usage data (access status, traffic, browsing environment, etc.); such data does not include information through which an individual could be identified.
The acquired data shall solely be used for the analysis of the usage status of the website, the creation of reports for the website operator, and other purposes relating to the provision of services.
The Google Analytics opt-out browser add-on may be used to refuse tracking by Google Analytics.
To use this feature, please download the add-on and install it on the browser that you use.
Copyright (in cases where a Creative Commons license is not used)
Individual information posted on the website (text, photographs, illustrations, etc.) is subject to copyright.
In addition, the entirety of the Tokyo Metropolitan Government official website itself is subject to copyright as an edited work; both are protected under the Copyright Act.
With the exception of where permitted under the Copyright Act, such as “reproduction for personal use” and “quotation,” unauthorized reproduction or diversion is prohibited.
As a general rule, links to this website may be posted freely, regardless of whether for profit or non-profit. However, please refrain from posting links that fall applicable, or which may fall applicable, under any of the following.
- 1. In the event of there being content that slanders the Tokyo Metropolitan Government or other company (party) or organization, or which is intended to damage the reputation of such a party.
- 2. In the event of an act that infringes upon the intellectual property rights, such as copyright or trademark rights, or the property, privacy, portrait rights, or other rights, of the Tokyo Metropolitan Government, or other company (party) or other organization, or there being a concern of such an infringement.
- 3. In the event of it being unclear that it is content of the Tokyo Metropolitan Government, and there being a possibility of confusion being caused to a third party, such as through the showing of this website within a frame.
- 4. In addition to each of the above, in the event of an act that is contrary to laws and ordinances, including laws, ordinances, and regulations, or public order and morals, or an act which may interfere with the operation of this website.
- 5. In the event of linking through the unauthorized use of logos and marks, etc., owned by the Tokyo Metropolitan Government.
- 6. In the event of linking in a form by which confusion is caused as to the source of the information.
Please also be advised in advance that there may be cases where the URLs of this website are changed without notice. In addition, please note that the Tokyo Metropolitan Government shall not bear any responsibility for damages or complaints, etc., in relation to links.
The following browsers are recommended for the safer and more comfortable use of this website.
- Microsoft Edge: Latest version
- Google Chrome (including for Android): Latest version
- Mozilla Firefox (including for Android): Latest version
- Safari (including for iOS): Latest version
Technology in Use
However, the recorded information will not include any information by which an individual could be identified, such as the customer's name, address, and telephone number.
In addition, no direct adverse effect will be caused to the computer of the individual user.
The cookies of third party companies contracted by the website may also be used in order to ascertain the access status of each page.
Users may also refuse to accept cookies by adjusting their browser settings.
Even in such a case, no significant hindrance shall be caused to the browsing of the website. For information on configuring browser settings, please check the help section of the respective software, or contact the manufacturer.
TLS encrypted communication is used for some services on the website in order to improve the level of security.
In the event of using an applicable service, a web browser that is compatible with TLS1.2 will need to be used.
By using a web browser that is compatible with this security feature, personal information entered by the user, such as their name, address, and telephone number, will be automatically encrypted prior to transmission.
Even in the event of the transmitted data being intercepted by a third party, there will be no concern of the content being stolen. In addition, applicable pages may be unavailable for use due to firewall, etc., settings.
Adobe Systems' Adobe Reader is required in order to view PDF-format files.
In the event of Adobe Reader not being installed or the content of the website not being displayed correctly, please download the latest version and then try browsing again.
Information Security Policy
The website protects information assets from attack with the purpose of continuing business based on the trust of all users, as well as the fulfillment of the social mission as an administrative agency.
- 1. In order to maintain the safety and accuracy of information assets, we shall endeavor to prevent unauthorized access, destruction, tampering, loss, leakage, etc., and shall take the appropriate safety measures.
- 2. Information assets shall be handled in accordance with the Tokyo Metropolitan Government Cyber Security Basic Policy, laws and ordinances, as well as other norms.
- 3. In the event of the processing of information assets being outsourced, this shall be performed under the appropriate management of the Tokyo Metropolitan Government.
- 4. We shall create a mechanism for the making of ongoing improvements, and shall aim to maintain and improve information security.
Terms of Service
We do not make any guarantee as to the completeness and accuracy of the information posted on the website.
The posted information is subject to change without notice. We shall not bear any responsibility for direct or indirect losses caused through the use of information or content that is included on the website.
The following acts are prohibited when using the website.
- An act that causes hindrance or which obstructs the operation of the website.
- An act that, or which may, cause nuisance or disadvantage, or harm the privacy, etc., of another user, third party, or the Tokyo Metropolitan Government.
- An act that is, or which may be, contrary to public order and morals.
- An act that is in violation of laws, ordinances, and rules.
- Any other act that is deemed inappropriate by the Tokyo Metropolitan Government.
Governing Law and Jurisdiction
In addition, the Tokyo District Court shall be the court of exclusive jurisdiction in the first instance for all disputes relating to the use of the website.
This policy is intended to explain such handling. For information on the handling and transfer of personal information, please also refer to our Personal Information Protection Policy.
Cookies and Similar Technology
Cookies refer to data that is transmitted from the website and which is saved on the device as tags for the identification of the device, when a device (computer or mobile device, etc.) is used to access the website by the user.
It should be noted that the functions of cookies and similar technologies can be disabled from the settings of the browser being used, as described in 4 below.
The website mainly uses the following tools for this purpose.
Google Analytics Tool Provider: Google Inc.
- Google Analytics Terms of Service
Google Analytics uses the cookies issued by our corporation to analyze the usage status of the website by customers (access status, traffic, browsing environment, etc.).
Our corporation receives the analysis results from Google Inc., to ascertain the usage status of customers. Please visit the following URL for further information.
How Google uses information from sites or apps that use our services
Information about Google Analytics can also be obtained from the following website.
Safeguarding your data - Analytics Help
How to Disable Cookies and Similar Technology
(1) To disable all cookies
The cookies saved to the user's device will continue to be saved on the device until they are intentionally deleted by the user, or until their respective expiration date passes.
The majority of well-known browsers have the acceptance of cookies enabled as the default setting, but allow for the disabling of cookies by the user changing the settings on their browser.
Please refer to the links below for information on how to change cookie settings in each browser.
(2) To disable individual cookies
It should be noted that the use of this add-on may impact the use of Google Inc. products and services.
For inquiries about this site, please contact us from the inquiry form.